FSSAI State License
FSSAI State License for doing business if the turnover exceeds Rs 12 Lakhs and is up to Rs. 20 Crores (the upper limit is Rs. 30 Crores in case of transporters). We extend our support in filing and subsequent follow-up with FSSAI.
Apply for FSSAI State License @ Rs 4999/- Only
Fee for FSSAI Registration
FSSAI Registration is mandatory if your Food Business have turnover is less than 12 lac in a Financial Year and the business is within the state
FSSAI State License Required When turnover is more than 12 Lac & upto 20 Crores for retailer/ 30 Crores for wholesalers
FSSAI Central License require for all cases where turnover exceeds limits prescribed for state License or involved in export.
FSSAI State License - Overview
Food is the basic necessity of life, and wholesome food prepared and stored safely with hygiene when consumed by you will keep you healthy. Thus the food business is regulated by making food licensing mandatory for every food business operator, which falls under the prescribed applicability criteria. A food state licence is a state-specific licence and is granted by state licencing authority for an FBO having an annual turnover of more than 12lacs but less than 20 crores( For transporters, the annual turnover limit is 30 crores). It has a validity period of 1 to 5 years, depending on the option selected by the FBO. Kindly refer to our detailed discussion on applicability at:
Eligibility for FSSAI State License
The Following food business operators need to apply for a State license with their respective state licensing authorities:
- FBO with an annual turnover of more than 12 Lacs but less than 20 crores except for Transporter. In transporters, the upper turnover limit for state licence is 30 crores.
- All mills of Cereals, Grains, Pulses require a state FSSAI licence.
- FBO produces food (other than Milk & Meat and products made from Milk and Meat) up to 101 Kgs/2 MT Liters per day.
- Dairy units, including milk chilling units which procure or handles and collect milk in between 501 – 50,000 Litres of Milk per day /2.5 MT –2 500 MT of Milk Solids per annum
- All slaughterhouses having slaughtering capacity as under:
- Large Animals: 3 to 50
- Small Animals: 11 to 150
- Poultry Birds: 51 to 1000
Timeline for Grant of FSSAI State License:
The Licensing Authority issues a license within 60 days of applying a complete application by an FBO. It includes time taken in scrutinization of application and inspection of premises by the concerned authority. This timeline may practically get extended in case of clarification raised in the application by the concerned authority. The applicant receives 30 days to file a reply to the clarification raised in his application. Delay in filing a response by the applicant to resolve the clarification may delay the license grant
Documents for FSSAI State License for Non Manufacturing / Non Producing FBO
Company / LLP / Firm Documents
B. Documents of Directors/ Partners & Nominee
C. Proof of Address of Food Business.
Documents for FSSAI State License for Manufacturing or Producing FBO
Along with above documents we need following documents for manufacturing and producing FBO –
- The processing unit’s blueprint/layout plan shows the metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation dimensions.
- Photograph of Manufacturing/Production unit.
- List of Machinery and Equipment and along with the number, installed capacity and horsepower used.
- Water test Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) from a recognized/ public health laboratory to confirm the portability indicating the name of an authorized representative of Lab who collected the sample and date of collecting the sample(Not applicable if water is not being used as an ingredient)
- For Hotels/Restaurants, Providers of Other Prepared Food.: Analysis report (Chemical & Bacteriological) of Vending water to be used as an ingredient in food in a Food Establishments, Club/Canteen or any. The report must be from a recognized public health laboratory. It is required to confirm the potability of water used in food. The water analysis report is to bear the date of collecting the sample and the name of the staff of Lab who collected the sample (It is applicable where water is used as an ingredient)
- Recall Plan
FSSAI State License Government Fee Table
Rs. 2000 Per Annum
Rs. 3000 Per Annum
Rs. 5000 Per Annum
The fee of Rs. 2000 is applicable in general to all the FBO, such as
Fee of Rs. 3000/- is applicable in Following cases
Fee of Rs. 5000/- is applicable in Following cases
Penalty for Non Compliance
A food licence is mandatory before the start of the food business. A food business operator carrying on food business without a valid licence may be levied a fine up to Rs 10 lacs or an imprisonment of six months. Still, in some cases where the grievous injury is caused due to unsafe food provided by the FBO, the imprisonment could exceed up to 6 years. Further, If the FBO is found guilty under this Act, all the directors /Partners/Manager/Secretary of the FBO shall also be liable to be proceeded and punished under this Act. Thus, the FBO must procure the required Registration or licence before starting the food business and comply with the conditions imposed therein.
FSSAI Annual Return
Every FSSAI Licensed FBOs involved in Manufacturing and Importing of Food Products including those engaged in manufacturing of Milk and Milk Products shall furnish online periodic annual returns with effect from FY 2020-21 as per notification dated 18th Dec 2020.
The returns shall be submitted online on Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) not beyond 31st May for each year. Every licensee shall file a separate return for each License, i.e. for each food unit. It is immaterial that the same Food Business Operator holds more than one License. Any delay in filing return beyond 31st May of each year shall attract a penalty of Rs 100 per day of delay.
Frequently asked Questions (FAQ)
FSSAI licenses issued to food businesses are valid for a period of 1 to 5 years.
It is mandatory to apply for licence renewal 30 days before the expiry of the existing licence. Non-renewal of licences can fetch a fine of ₹100 per day until the renewal is done.
Yes, you do. You need a central licence registered from the address in the import export code.
Yes, whether you manufacture, distribute, transport or trade food additives, you will need an FSSAI licence to do it.
It is mandatory for all catering establishments, even the railways, defence and airport to get an FSSAI licence.
Perhaps you have a few separate warehouses within one city, then you will need a separate licence for each. If all your warehouses are confined to one campus, however, you can apply for a single licence citing the campus’s address.
Yes, the process is 100% online. We will provide you with a dashboard in which you can comfortably do everything.
For a basic FSSAI registration, it takes 7-10 days from the day the application is filed. For state and central licence, it may take up to 30 days to get your licence.
The registration authority may reject the registration application where the reply to the clarification is not filed within 30 days of raising such clarification.
Suppose a Petty food manufacturer fails to obtain a registration. In that case, a fine not exceeding Rs 5 lakh and imprisonment for up to 6 months may be imposed, depending on the nature of the offence. The sale of food products without a quality tag will lead to a penalty of Rs 5 lacs, whereas a fine of Rs 3 lakh is levied for sale without a label. Thus, homemade food suppliers, dabbawala, home baker, etc., should register themselves to avoid hefty fines and imprisonment. Kindly contact team setindiabiz to get your food business registration.